Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

National Review 1

When I started college in 1966 I discovered a
magazine in the college library that caught my
attention. That magazine was National Review
and the philosohy behind the publication was a
well reasoned, scholarly yet feisty conservatism.
The editor was the urbane, wtty. erudite,
William F. Buckley, Jr. a Yale educated Catholic
intellectual who was very serious about critiquing
the status quo from the perspective of a traditionally
grounded ethos and values. This was a very
stimulating publication, at times somewhat
over my head intellectually, but none-the-less
enriching and thought stretching.

National Review was a magazine with an agenda.
This publication set out to develop a modern
coherent conservative political and cultural
philosophy as well as critiquing the prevailing
establishment liberalism. It was deeply
anti-communist and was certainly compatible
with what I had learned from Carl McIntire
and Billy James Hargis. I began subscribing
to it and continued to do so for 25 or 30 years.
The college I went to was not one that was friendly
to conservative thought and my bi-weekly doses
of National Review helped me keep a right
perspective during the turbulent late 1960s
and early 1970s.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?