Wednesday, July 26, 2006

 

San Diego Con Report 3 (2006)

(Journal entry for July 20, 2006)
Got up this morning a little after 4 AM and got out
of Green Valley at 5 AM. This morning in NW Tucson
ran into a lightning/rain storm. Stopped and got gas
at Gila Bend. After leaving there I ran into a swarm
of locust/grasshoppersthat went on for several miles.
Stopped in El Centro and got gas and ate an early
lunch (10:30AM) at Carl’s Jr. I arrived in San Diego
and found parking by the new Padre’s Baseball Stadium.
Went to the Convention Center and got my convention
badge and info without a problem, also got my
convention book and it did have Larry and my
illo of the Silver Age Flash in it.

The first panel I went to was one the Comic Arts
Conference Session #3 that had Rick Geary, Chip
Kid and Michael Doodley. Geary talked about how
he approached the Classic Illustrated adaptations
in the 1980s. Chip Kid worked with Michael
Millionaire on a Batman Story (1930s retro look).
Then I attended a panel called New Challenges in
Self Publishing with Batton Lash, Kyle Baker, Paige
Braddock, Rich Koslowski, Phil Foglio. They emphasized
the importance of Internet comics— the way circumvent
the expense of paper comics. Innovative way to keep
up interest between issues. Then I went to the Carmine
Infantino interview (he was the original artist on the
Silver Age Flash). He has aged quite a lot since I saw
him several years ago, but is still very forthright, bright
and opinionated in his comments. He shared a wide
range of viewpoints.From that I stopped at the
TwoMorrows panel. They had a good presentation
of their products.

After that I visited the CCAS table and Ralph Miley,
Robert Flores, Cedric Hohnstadt and I checked in to
the Bristol Hotel. The Bristol is within easy walking
distance of the Convention Center. Chris Yambar
who was going to stay with us but left the convention
earlier today, because of some health related issues
(recovering from very recent appendix surgery). The
Christian comics folk ate together this at Horton
Plaza as usual. Those there were Cedric Hahnstadt,
Ralph Miley, Robert Flores, Linda Brown, Kendra
Holmstead, Christine Kerrick, Richard, Eric Jansen
were there and we had a good time talking. Spent
some time with Eric talking afterward.
(In later posts I will do more to identify these people.)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?