Monday, September 25, 2006

 

Phoenix Cactus Comic Con

(The next few blogs are entries from my Journal of
September 24, 2006- my trip to the Phoenix Cactus Comic Con)
This morning I got off about 7:30 Am and went to the
Phoenix Cactus Comic Convention in Mesa (near Phoenix).
It was at the Mesa Convntion center (the same place
as the SVP meeting last October. It is about 144 miles
from Green Valley (took about 2 2/2 hours to get their.
I paid admission at the door.

I got to speak to a number of people. I walked by the
small people/artist alley are and spoke with several of
the display presenters. For Nate St. John, an architect
from from Phoenix, this was his first comic book convention.
He was promoting a two comic books one called called
Missionaries and other called Convent. These small press
pubs were very impressive (as is his web site www.nathanstjohn.com).
I mentioned the recently released “End of the Spear” film
which he hadn’t heard of because this plot of his first comic
book small similarities to the motion picture. The artwork
on both pubs is loose and of fine illustrative quality and
reflecting his architect’s background.

I next spoke with Eric Kask who was the Convention
event coornidator (and security chief) and he expressed
interest and curiosity about the tee shirt I was wearing.
The tee shirt is one I got as a member of the Comic
Creator’s Network from the Kansas City group that
I joined while I was lived Kansas City, Missouri several
years ago. I briefly told him about the Kansas City group
and he shared that he was trying to organize a similar
statewide group for Arizona with afflilations not only
in the Phoenix area but also in Tucson, Flagstaff and
other cities in Arizona. Eric is certainly an ambiteous
young man. I met his father sometime later who was
manning a small press table for his son and had a
pleasant chat with him. He was a comic book reader
during the Golden Age of the 1940s.

(The “End of he Spear” is the story of five American
Christian missionaries who were killed by stone age
Indians in Amazonian rainforest of Ecuador in 1956
and how the wives of the slain missionaries continued
working with the same tribe who had killed their husbands.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?