Thursday, August 28, 2008

 

Campus Crusade Part 11

One of the major projects I worked on during late 1973
and early 1974 was doing illustrations for a series of training
transparencies of the Transferable Concepts in Mandarin
Chinese. I was able to work with Andrew Ho who was at
that time the director for Mass Media in Asia.

The Transferable Concepts were the basic teaching about
the Spirit Filled Life written by Dr. Bill Bright. These "Concepts"
were the foundational core of Campus Crusade's teaching
about how to successfully live the Christian life. This was
a great project to work on and I showed a number of the
illustrations I did in my January 1974 newsletter.

In October 1973 I returned back to Washington for another visit
with my parents and support team again I had several meetings
in my folks home for my supporters. After I returned to California
I had a new boss, George Sarris who was working in the Radio and
TV department. George had an excellent speaking voice and was
the announcer on Campus Crusade's radio program. Others of
my co-workers at that time were Rich Buhl (directing slide shows),
Tommy Gleaton (mechanical whiz and slide show producer),
Dave Dooney (Radio and Paul Burton (training).

Toward the end of April 1974 my parents came down for a visit and
stay for a week as guests at the Arrowhead Springs hotel. They were
very impressed with Campus Crusade headquarters and I was able
to take them to Disneyland, Knox Berry Farm, the San Diego Zoo
and other Southern Calif. attractions. This was a wonderful trip for
them and I was delighted to introduce them to the people I worked
with and other friends like Don Franklin.

In early 1974 I received help in my area from another staff member
who was working in film production and video taping. This was Crystal
Nicol who had come on staff the previous summer. Crystal was an
extrovert and a lot of fun to work with. She hailed from Redondo Beach,
California with a Lebonese mother and Irish father. She was quite
artistic and between jobs we draw a satiral comic strip of the different
people in the media departments and posted them on the inside of the
front door of the Quonset Hut we worked in. Crystal would later marry
(in 1975) a big Polish-American former college football player and fellow
Campus Crusade staff member named Ski Kazmierski. Later in 1974
Crystal and I were joined by Judy Caudill from Arkansas whose first
staff assignment was working in the transparency area. Judy proved
to be a steady and dependable worker and was a value member of the
growing sub department of the Overhead transparency section.

For two years from October 1972 to October 1974 I lived in the Acacia
household of Andy Jelmert a(mentioned previously) and other housemates
Dick Lewis (worked in the Campus Office) from Phoenix, Arizona;
Russ Daniels (worked in Publications), from Virginia and
Van Wong from Buffalo, New York. I enjoyed the housemate situation
but Andy wanted to give us a chance to experience other living
situations so several of us moved to other places.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?