Thursday, August 14, 2008

 

Campus Crusade Part 9

The rest of my first year on Campus Crusade staff was
filled with moves, work and a trip home to Washington.
Two volunteer staff in the Film department, John and
Florence Hafner asked another staff man and myself
to house sit for them at their home in Crestline. John
Hafner was an older rather plain spoken gentlemen
who had worked for many years as a film cutter in
Hollywood. He had worked on many of the great films
in Hollywood's Golden years. Crestline is a mountain
community north of Arrowhead Springs and is a
destination for skiers in the winter time. I closed out
my apartment on Fifth Street at the end of March and
moved to the Hafner home and lived there until the
Explo 72 in June. After returning from Explo I found
another one bedroom apartment on F Street (in San
Bernardino).

I lived there for around three months and then received
an invitation from Andy Jelmert to share a house with
he and several other Campus Crusade men in a new
housing development on Acacia Street in northern
San Bernardino. Andy worked as an administrative advisor
(he had taught on the college level) with Steve Douglass
(who was CCC VP and much later Presdent of Campus
Crusade after Bill Bright) and Bruce Cook. The house
sharing arrangement was one that I experience several
times during many Campus Crusade years and after.

As a full time CCC staff member I had my own financial
and prayer support team. The staff members were
encouraged to not only write monthly newsletters
("prayerletters") to their supporters but to plan annual
support maintainence and raising trips back to re-connect
with those supporters. In November 1972 I headed back
to my home in Washington and held 3 meetings with
my supporters at my former home. At these meetings I
showed the "One Way" film which was a summary of what
happened at Explo 72 and presented a slide presentation
of my work at Arrowhead Springs. A couple of months
before I purchased a Single lens reflex camera—
a Yashica TL Electro X and shot slides of my work.
This camera was to sure me well for several decades.
It was a solid work horse of a camera. These meetings
proved to be a very good experience as it allowed my
parents to become involved directly in my work as hosting
the meetings. Before this I don't remember our house as
being used for meetings of any kind.

I also visited with friends like Bob LaRievere, Rick Nelson
and of course Scott Campbell. This was a good time.
It was interesting that this was now my former home.
This was the home I grew up in and loved and still loved
but my life was now elsewhere. Things had changed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?