Monday, November 17, 2008

 

Campus Crusade Part 20

My work with Worldwide Challenge magazine began
with an intensive training period on magazine design.
Noreen Ketchum, the original designer on the magazine,
devised and instituted a comprehensive study program
on how to put magazines together. The following is
taken from my February 1977 prayerletter.

"Since the middle of September [1976] I have been
working with the art team that produces in cooperation
with the editors and writers the monthly magazine
of Campus Crusade, the Worldwide Challenge.

"When I first entered this new area I was placed in
an extensive training program that lasted about six
weeks. I was given books to read on magazine design,
creative processes and the usage of photography in
publications. Also I had assignments in redesigning
magazine articles (all the way from tiny thumbnail
sketches, to mock-ups-practice layouts, to the
finished of layout). Also involved in this was photo
selection and the making of illustrations. There is a
whole new language in magazine design which I am
still learning. There is "picky paste-up", "gallies",
"teasers", "subheads" and "kickers" among others.

"This time of training was a very valuable learning
experience and I am still on a less accelerated training
program. I've been in the area for over five months
now and I've learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn.
My previous experience with transparencies however
made my transition into this new area a relatively
easy and quick one."

In some ways this was the most concentrated and
career important training I received. I was better
that any of the graphics courses I took in college.
It was on the job training where you were actually
implementing what you learned with real job projects.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?