Monday, December 29, 2008

 

Campus Crusade Part 26

Below is the conclusion of my memorial prayer letter
about my father published in June-July 1977.

"Dad was an example to his children in the realm of
spiritual things. As a young man he committed his life
to Christ. He and mother made sure that we were in
Sunday School and took us to church. Dad was a
Sunday School teacher for several years at Broadway
Presbyterian Church and later served as deacon at
Immanuel. More importantly than the positions he
held was the example he provided. I remember many
times when I was growing up seeing him kneel down
on his knees in front of the bed or a chair praying. I
am sure that often he was praying for his sons and
relatives. Dad was an avid reader and daily Bible
reading was a constant habit that was cultivated
over the years. When I was younger there were
many occasions that we had family devotions in
an effort to make our Christian faith translate itself
into everyday practice. Dad would set a priority for
these times. One result of this spiritual training was
one son becoming an active layman in a local church
and the three others being involved in different phases
of full time Christian service.

"Dad was not perfect. He did have faults. One fault was
his ability to worry and be overly concerned about the
future. This worrying may have been the cause of many
of the headaches and upset stomachs he experienced
during his life. But in his later years he began to trust
the Lord with more and more and his peace of mind
became greater. During his long illness he probably
experienced more spiritual growth than at any other
time in his life. My brother Elvin related at the funeral
that several weeks before that he had prayed with Dad
for the last time (while he was still able to speak) and
said that Dad said, "Thank you, Lord." That's powerful!
I could ask no greater spiritual heritage from my earthly
father. I thank God for him.

"I really do not think of Dad as being dead and certainly
not in a grave in northwest Washington. Dad is absent from
his body, but he is present with the Lord (II Cor. 5:8). I
would like to close with this excerpt from a condolence
letter dated may 10 from Mrs. Phyllis Balzer (LeRoy's
mother-in-law): "When LeRoy called on Wednesday evening
to tell us of his dad's death I could only say, " ' O, I'm so sorry,
but really I'm not.' " He said, "I know what you are meaning
and I feel that way also.' " I trust you do also. When Jon
(LeRoy's five year old son) went to bed one night he remarked,
" ' Gram, God answered my prayer. I asked Him to not let
my Grandpa be sick anymore. I'm going to see him when I
go to be with Jesus too, even if its a long time yet. He'll know
me and I'll know him. Isn't that neat?!' "

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?