Monday, February 16, 2009

 

Campus Crusade Part 32

"As concerning my former residence on Hampshire Rd.
which I lived for over four years I will definitely not be
moving back. That whole neighborhood has been declared
a disaster area and it looks as though the city will be moving
the homes out of there and be selling them for the owners.
Hampshire Rd. itself perhaps will be turned into a park and
flood control canal. However at this late date a lot of the
details have not been nailed down. Recently I was over at
the house and I still felt a strong emotional attachment to it."
This is from my May-June 1980 newsletter.

However life went on. I was promoted to "Feature Design Director"
which meant I was in charge of designing the Feature section
of Worldwide Challenge. "Noreen Ketchum (our senior art director)
recently left staff and married Mr. Dave Davis, a U.S. Air Force officer.
Having worked with Noreen almost four years I am happy to see
God moving her into this joyful next phase of her life."

"We have also gotten two new staff in our office. Beth Bratcher,
from Texas and Lori Creedle from Georgia. Both have been very
useful and I have been involved in helping to train them. I enjoy
the people I work with very much. They are fine Christians and
I wish you could meet them."

I came back to Bellingham is September 1980 to share about
a new job that I was preparing to go into. I had applied for the
art director position for Athletes in Action magazine. While I
had enjoyed my work in Worldwide Challenge magazine I felt
that I had peaked out with my WWC involvement. Eddie Maggard
had his sights on becoming Bill Rhodes successor as art director.
Which was fine with me. Eddie eventually did become art director
and did an excellent job in raising the level of design several
notches above what it had been.

Athletes in Action magazine was a quarterly evangelistic magazine
that had been around for a number of years. I felt very privileged
to get the assignment and it was an enjoyable two years being
the chief designer of the magazine.

On November 24, 1980 a wild devastating fire swept through
Arrowhead Springs destroying a number of buildings including
the quonsets where I had worked for several years in the Audiovisual
department and the building that housed the writers and editors.
It seemed as if I was getting use to disasters having just gone through
a flood 10 months before. It was as if old things were being replaced
by the new. Campus Crusade had built several new office building
on 27th Street in San Bernardino where I eventually had a office.

I had stayed with Don and Lucille Franklin for several months and
then moved in with several other staff men over the summer. When
I returned back form my visit home to Bellingham I rented a single
bed room apartment on Genevieve Street in San Bernardino.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?