Monday, April 06, 2009

 

Campus Crusade Part 33

Returning to my oncoming Autobio.

Much of the next two years (1980-82) was centered
on designing the Athletes in Action magazine. This
was a dream job and the culmination of my previous
years of working on the Worldwide Challenge art team.
The AIA magazine was designed outside the organization
by a Christian designer. The decision was to bring it in
house and I applied for the position of art director. Since
AIA was a quarterly magazine I was able to solo design
and paste it up as well. Those were a good two years.

I had a good time working with same of the same folks
I did with WWC. Photographers like Tom Mills, Greg
Schneider, Phil DeJong and writers like Bill Horlacher,
Ken Sidey (nephew of well-known Time Magazine writer,
Hugh Sidey), Chuck MacDonald and others. John Carvalho
was the editor of the magazine. He was a young, bright, very
energetic sports fan and a very good writer and editor. My
work with John had mostly to do with him handing me the
article gallies and article page count and I'd come up with
the layout and design. He and I were involved in photo
section and photo shots also.

Perhaps my best issue was my last one (Summer 1982) where
the cover had a crowd shot of media people mobbing a "pro" athlete
in his home much to the chagrin of his wife. My dear friend Don
Franklin was in this photo and it as a hard-bitten sports commentator.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?