Monday, July 13, 2009

 

Narramore Years Part 6

Coming into the San Gabriel Valley I visited at several
churches and eventually ended up going to the San
Gabriel Union Church (Lenox Palin, then pastor).
There I became acquainted with Randall & and his
brother Tim Van Meter. Randall, who lived in nearby
El Monte, was a public librarian and Sunday School
teacher for the singles group at San Gabriel Union
Church. Randall, a highly intelligent and articulate
man, presented his teaching in a erudite yet practical
manner. Randall was very well read and had a great
interest and knowledge of history. I became friends
with him and visited his home on a number of occasions.
He even visited with me the Campus Crusade book
discussion group that I was still attending on a fairly
regular basis after my move to the San Gabriel Valley.
Randall proposed starting a similar group locally.
This we did and several people already mentioned
including Dan Norris, Steve & Caroline Hatch, and
Sheryl (Black) Logan. Sheryl was a former Campus
Crusade staff member I'd been acquainted with during
my last few years with CCC. She had moved to the San
Gabriel Valley and later married Ron Logan. Several
years after the group began Randall moved to Minnesota
to pursue studies at Bethel College. The discussion group
continued on for some time after he left. For a time I was
busy reading books for both groups.

Also in the church group I met Kimla Brecht. Kimla
became a special friend during this period and we shared
many good times together. Kim was on the U.S. Olympic
Swim Team (1968 & 1972). We attended the 1984
Los Angeles Summer Olympics together.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?